Paint Table - July

2020 Painting Challenge - July
135/52 --> 163/52


Well, its another month in this dystopian hellscape and as per tradition, some models got painted! Let's look at those before we get too deeply entrenched in how our systems of government have failed us during this international pandemic crisis :) I hope you're doing okay wherever you are.


One of the things I've been really excited about this month is community engagement! One of the ways I've worked towards that has been with the #drawthisinyourstyle movement, as seen here with this little homage to @woodencyclops's Tankdog. In the grim darkness of the 41st millennia, there is only woof.

A Tankdog
+1


Last month, I made four red monsters like these two in the background, and this month I endeavored to give them some friends and some leadership. Pictured here is the Chirurgeon, his Pupsaw thrall, and two more followers for his procession, bulking the party up to a solid eight.

More Bodyhorror Monsters
+4


My Sons of the Mandrake campaign wrapped earlier this month, but I've had a host of other bits and bobs to finish for the rest of the army. Here we have another slew of infantry, some rat riders, a reliquary for the Grand Mandrake, and a Second Lieutenant for the platoon.

The Rest of the Goddamn Turnips
+17

Another awesome INQ28 setting has appeared! Enter @intothegreynorth's Salvatore28, following the colonization of Nimbus IV. Conquistadors in space sounded like a fun conversion project, and #onedayinq28 came up again, so I took a box of forgotten bits and made some neat little dudes to romp around the New World. Also, before this project I'd never pinned anything in my life, so I ordered a tiny pin vise hand drill, and now its all I ever want to do.

Salvatore 28 - Iberian Investigators
+7

This Months Total
+29

however

I gave away the Spooky Birdman from last month, so net models dips by one point, bringing us to 163. 
In actuality my total is probably closer to 165, but I haven't counted models I intend to give away, or have sent to people. 

Don't know why, them's just the rules.

LOOKING FORWARD

Some of these projects have reached healthy stopping points, where while there's a great deal of potential for additions and permutations, these forces are at places where I could use them in games, and they'd represent the worlds clearly and concisely.



Carnarium - The Chirurgeon's Procession

In the background, Alexei Vella (cool dude extraordinaire) and I have been tinkering away at a Skirmish game that indulges deeply in body horror and metastasized egos. Parades of gaudy, blood-soaked nightmares rampage through the mazes of hell, stealing flesh from each other to further the goals of wretched personalities. The Chirurgeon is one such monster, who's cult revolves around the ultimate being, to the degree that his followers are functionally "bare bones," so that their "excess" meat can go towards his Magnum Opus.



Turnip28 - The Mandrake 14th

From the Raised City, these soldiers hail, carrying with them the Grand Mandrake. They wander Cist looking to release the naysayers from their shame, for any who refuse the blessings of their patron root are clearly miserable creatures. 


Salvatore28 - Investigators under Inquisitor-Captain Quasimorto

A crew of detectives and combat adepts descend to Nimbus IV to keep tabs on the  colonies of the Imperium. While things have appeared quiet on the surface, one must always be vigilant against the Heretic, and so Captain Quasimorto narrows his gaze on the settlement of Iber, ready to purge her of any who would spit on the Emperor's name.

+++

These forces all need opposition now, so I guess that's the rub. I'll be tinkering on that someday soon, but in the meantime, I have my sights set on a slightly different project.

Remember that craptastic world I mentioned earlier in the post? Yeah, that's still happening. Lots of people are struggling in a lot of ways, and there are a ton of opportunities to help our fellow peeps, especially if you're ever on Twitter or Instagram.


#HobbyItForward

For my part, I'm donating when I can, but recently I found I had more bits and bobs than I'd ever need, and decided to turn them into care packages for wargamers in tough spots, or people who'd like to try wargaming out but can't get past that paywall. I think accessibility and opportunity should be integral parts of our hobby, and while we've come leaps and bounds in recent years, there's no reason to stop where we're at. So far I've packed four and posted three of these boxes, and hope to do more soon. I've been posting them to my Instagram when they're packed and ready, so look there if you're a wargamer in need.

Additionally, I'll be teaming up with Dan of PATM to develop a parallel #HobbyItForward project that he's testing the waters for now, and I'll be working on making a mission statement/best practices doc for any others who'd like to participate in this sort of effort.

Thanks for reading fam. Stay safe, and take care of eachother.



Comments

Popular Posts