Farewell 2021

Another year has passed, and here we are again, locked indoors away from the world, our families, and our friends.

So it goes.

In the tradition of this darker season, we look back on our misdeeds and think to ourselves, "how could I have done that, but twice as wickedly?" No? Maybe that's not the turn of phrase. Either way, we look back on our pursuits, reflect, and take stabs at the strange lurking figure in the gloom who is carrying our hopes for next year in an increasingly desperate bid to pry our optimism from his clutches.

As one does.

I'm going to try to take a moment to collect my thoughts, and tell you how this year went in a number of categories, and then maybe talk about my goals for the year ahead. Currently, I'm very tired from being a person of retail during a holiday season where perhaps more cheer was needed than usual, and so please bear with as I attempt a coherent conversation.

Minis Painted

I didn't keep track this year. Last year was the boggling feat of 300 plus, and if I were to guess, I'd say I hit a third of that and petered out. Life happened a lot for a year where no one did anything, and I didn't have any particular goals in mind, so I guess thats that. Of the models I finished, I think I'm happiest with my Lobsterpot figures, a few of which I'll share again now so that this post might have a thumbnail.

Figures Sculpted

This did not happen. Again, its hard to keep a practice going when larger life-things become a priority. That said, I did convert a fairly large squad of Space Pugs for my friend, and since those sculpts were mine to begin with, I'd argue that iteration counts for something. On the subject of converting, I've developed an appreciation for subtlety, where only a handful of components are scratchbuilt or kitbashed. Hopefully, I'll learn to play with this in the future, or completely disregard it like my mad science instincts would have me do.

Matches Played


Unsurprisingly, I played more games in 2021 than in 2020. I lucked into some very good friends and some very fun systems, and have maybe for the first time in all my hobby experience, looked forward to playing a wargame? Like, passionately I mean. Turnip28 might currently be my favorite ruleset (I will always love Wasteman) and its opened me up in so many ways that I cant help but feel that pang of gratitude to Max and the community of rootin' tootin' pardners on Discord. 

Games Designed

I am no stranger to the compulsion to make a sharable experience. Most of my work in the world is performance and hospitality, and engineering fun encounters for people, so finally I've married that to my other quiet hobby of designing things for people to play. At this point, I've had years of false starts, but with winter rolling in, I finally knuckled down and released my first game into the wild. Lobsterpot has been an amazing experience; working on rules, making art, playing games, and fostering a community that has conversations. These are all boons by themselves, but collected? Wow. I'm speachless, and yet so honored that I can't help but mewl with appreciation for everyone who's joined me and Sam in this weird little pot.

Looking Forward


I want things to look forward to. Last year's New Years post was very somber, and while all of those things are still horrible and true, I need love and hunger lest I too succumb to such fates. 

Here are my hopes for 2022

  • Lobsterpot - I want to finish the core rules. They're getting closer by the day, but we're still a ways out. With any luck, we'll really have a polished little nugget by the time Spring rolls around.
  • Print - I'd dearly love to have something new to print and share with my friends who love the tactile media. Maybe a comic or a card game or perhaps an RPG. I've been particularly taken with Microgames and Nanogames, so perhaps I'll cook one of those up when I find an ounce of spare time.
  • Painted - I think I want to go back to posting my painting log once a month. I really do miss making little blog posts (you might have noticed how few I put out this year,) since it gives me time to reflect and assess. With any luck, I can hold myself to that much.
  • Sculpted - Not unlike Painting above, I think keeping track of this, maybe quarterly, would be a fun way to continue engaging with the blog. While Instagram is fine for dopamine and advertising, its a real joy just getting to plunk keys to the tune of a fireside chat. Thanks for reading this by the way. You're a real cheese.
  • Fun - More and more, the hobby is my job. They say "if you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life." That's bullhockey, but its important to engage with the things you love to work on in ways that aren't professional, that can just be relaxing or dumb or whatever you need it to be. This is a long way of saying "be kind to yourself," but with "stop to smell the roses" mixed in with a jigger of "no regerts."
I don't know that there's more to say now, but when there is I assure you, you can read it in a post. Take care my friends, and take time to enjoy shit. That's a wrap.

Comments

Popular Posts