Another Stab - Introduction Post

I like blogging. I don't do it enough, but its one of the things I find joy in, almost as much as I do gaming and art, the things this blog proports to be about.

But that's not true actually. I was thumbing through my previous posts and found the inaugural entry, the one that started it all. As introductions go, its a rigid one, which does its job but limits its potential.

So let's try again.


Hi, I'm B and I do things.

I've been a miniature wargamer since 2005, with stints away for education and survival purposes. At time of writing, I manage the wargames section of a friendly local gaming store, and I put out games and stories occasionally for fun and for profit. In this hobby and this life, I hold the beliefs that people should have fun, and that fun should be accessible, and I try to do what I can to help that happen.

In the six and a half years since I started this blog, I've tried my hand at a number of different game systems and in the future I'll likely heed the siren's call of dozens more. Among the explorations of these systems I've also done some battle reports, some painting logs, reviews and critiques, and even fan-content. There isn't an aspect of this hobby that I don't have an interest in, so its entirely possible that if you name a topic, somewhere in these posts you'll find it touched on (if not embellished into a full-fledged essay.)

So what is this blog then? Its an amuse-bouche of my hobbying, designing, and anything else involving myself and miniature wargaming. If that isn't enough, I also have an Instagram that serves as a rock tumbler for the ideas and projects you'll find here, and a Newsletter that is likewise fed by the refinement that this blog provides (and then some other stuff too.) I don't think ideas are ever done, but they can be honed, and that's what we're doing here; making the thing the shape it needs to be. Its a process, and boy is it beautiful. If that's something you enjoy too, I hope you'll join me in the years to come.

Hmm, still not perfect, but much better. If I wanted to make the platonic ideal of a blog post, I could just copy Jenny Lawson's kickoff. I kid; I don't have a dog so that's completely off the table. Oh well, I'll get it right on the next one, or at least better. That's what time is for. 

Stay safe. Take care. Don't die.


Ben Doane is a writer, illustrator, designer, wargamer, and fan of the Oxford comma. They're the designer of the Lobsterpot Wargame, the author of Shape Kids, and the creator of the Ritual XCG. You could say a bunch of things about Ben, and most of them would be true. That's just how it works. They hide on the outskirts of Boston Massachusetts, with their partner, a cat, and a closet full of ghosts.

Comments

Popular Posts