Space Scuzz



In the last few weeks I haven't done much hobbying. My desk is still cluttered with the odds and ends of Turnips and Flesh Eaters, and piles of Magic cards I've been going through for Pauper staples, but nothing has tickled me to the point where I've picked up a brush and said "today's the day." That is until I remembered Inq28th, and made a ganger named Toast with a crunchy face and a multi-melta (previously mistaken for a flamer, whoops.)

He's definitely an owl under that cowl.

These pieces range from conversions with sub-subassemblies, to models I rescued from a dollar bin with no tracable origin; so long as they have character and tell a story, they're welcome in my collection. I don't have a particular world in mind for these grimy gays, which is fine. They'd honestly fit fine as a ragtag crew for Stargrave, a small party in Planet 28, or a gang of Necromundan ner'do'wells. No matter their destination, it is my duty to make certain they arrive there well-prepared.

I've chopped this guy's head off so many times.

While I am in a bit of a fog due to my recent Pfizer vaccine, I can express some loose hopes I have for the collection of Science Fiction fatalists. 

1. All of these models should have a limited palette, which to me means 4-6 paint colors. 

2. Conversely, I don't count metallics, washes, or technical paints in my limited palette, and have been enjoying them so much. For that reason, I'm trying to use as many of those as possible, so long as they're relevant to the mini and its goals.

3. For the minis that are converted, make sure they're converted a lot. I keep going back to Between the Bolter and Me, hearing the Weir brothers talk about how many disparate parts can go into a model's gun or legs. I'm trying that to make these minis more of a guessing game, but also to see how far I can push pieces to fill roles that they'd never dreampt of filling. The #Scratchbuilt tag on Hekatoncheires's blog is a primo example of what I'm talking about, especially in the Eldar posts where all the compenents are taken from anywhere but the Eldar model line. 

This is the only unconverted one of the bunch, and if anyone knows where this mini came from, please share! I'd very much like to know.

Yup, the three base tenants of my making these nerds. Those sure were them. Yup.

Oh, and I'm trying out OSL and there's a slight learning curve.

Yup.



Comments

Popular Posts