Paint Table - September

2020 Painting Challenge - September

194/52 --> 220/52

Last month I made many more models than were painted, and looking at this month's haul, there's definitely a pattern emerging where the process time for figures has extended to a two month span while waiting for their turn with the brush.


Dungeon Degenerate's Plaguefinder General  -  While I wish the model didn't have so many (aka any) iron crosses, I love the look, and I'm always a sucker for Jaycee Fairclough's traditional sculpts. This model was done for one of Sean Aaberg's expansions to his mammoth board game Dungeon Degenerates, and was just strange enough that I needed it in my collection. Its about 50mm tall and weighs a ton, so it'll play well in Wasteman as some leather-daddy ballbuster and roided-out hound. I think this came in the mail maybe two years ago, but it was at the ready for a fun palette cleanser since it's not for one of the seven settings I'm actively crafting for.

+1


Antediluvian Miniatures Devils - Hey, its these guys again! As is tradition they received a limited pallet, but this time I skipped out on the yellows, hence this sort of Tzaangor vibe. Next batch will be the last of them, and I'm very jazzed to see how their group shot comes out!

+4


Black Tree Design's Doctor Who range - If you're ever looking for older, stranger minis I can't recommend this line enough. Their dispatching is really inconsistent, but I've been saving these for a while. If memory serves, this is The Decaying Master and a Cailleach, who I thought would make for great #Folkhammer villains or entities. They'll probably wind up being witches for my witch squad, consorting with aforementioned devils and other creatures under darkened boughs.

+2


Bombshell Miniatures Sharkguy - This one doesn't actually count towards my total since it's part of a miniswap within the Paint All The Minis community, but I wanted to share it anyway. This one is for Sean from the Youtube Channel Hero of the Table, and I hope he digs it. 

+1 (but not really)



Mutant Highwaymen with Monotread Jouster - I was in a bandit mood, and having seen the way my friend Nicolai carved up monopose poxwalkers for his Never Going Home project, I remembered that I too had that sprue kicking around. Between that, the Nurgle's Rotters Bloodbowl team, and a new Perry's kit of Confederate soldiers, I had all I needed to cobble together these mean muggers. The Monotread is inspired by some ideas I heard floating around the #Salvatore28 Discord, and so I pulled out a decrepit Space Marines Rhino from my youth and quartered the beast. I really enjoyed the Chibi Tanks from Meng and wanted a similar squatness to the profile, so I chopped it into further bits and wound up with this lil' chonker.

+4



Never Going Home RPG - some days you just need to make a small collection of minis. This project was a reprieve from my commercial work this month, and I spent two days cranking on the kitbashing and the painting. Merrily mind you, but yeah, nobody saw me for two days.

To my understanding, Never Going Home is a World War one rpg about soldiers attempting to survive a nightmarish campaign in "The Veil" with their wits, guns, and a little bit of bad magic. Everything feels like its moments from betraying you, and rarely are your enemies "of this earth." 

The bits I had access to were more 40k and WW2, and as mentioned above with Nicolai's poxwalker conversions, I knew I had to give it a shot, (his NGH monster ranking blogposts didn't help either.) Now I've wound up with three Germans, three Native American Code Talkers, four Trench Gremlins, a Necromancer, three Nomen, and a Gut-Mawed Gallu and I couldn't be happier.

Well I could, but for sake of argument, let's say I'm pleased as punch at this little set of miscreants. I like this very a la carte setting collection I'm develop (first Turnip28, then Salvatore28, and now this??) since it lets me explore so much more lore than if I were focusing on one army. Since most of my wargaming is solo, having all of these different puddles to leap into, with such a wide variety of heroes and villains to root for... I feel like it'll keep me engaged and excited to see what happens in the next episode.

+15

Month's Total
+26 (the shark doesn't count)

Total to Date
220!

Wowzers! Only three months left to see how far we'll go! Not too shabby Bendo!
I'm still sorting out my projects for next month, but here's a quick peek behind the curtain at some non-painting projects that I'm knee deep in behind the scenes.


Meet Tod
He's a Turnip 28 character from that Max Fitzgerald kid, and earlier this week I got such an itch that we had to conspire in the dead of night to make Tod a real boy, erm... toad? Man? Mini.


It was very important that he be squat and overburdened, and that his pose would be in line with the minis the Turnip 28 community has been making so that he might march in the unit without too much of that fiddly ranking you find in WFB 6th ed. Remember ranking up Skaven? Impossible to do without numbering their bottoms.
We're now looking for a metal minis caster to bring him and maybe some pals into the great wide world, so if you've got any leads feel free to drop us a line!


Lastly, this month is Graphic Novel Month at the Watertown Free Public Library! I'll be online with other cartoonists, drawing our butts off with the community and anyone else who feels like hanging out. If comics are your jam, maybe poke your head in! 

Comments

Popular Posts