Making a Playset - Never Going Home


One of the things I like about the 28 community is how self-contained the stories are; how the sprawl of the game is only in the narrative potential and arms race of models. I'm usually a fan of structural limitations, mostly in my comics where chapters have a set number of pages, and that definitely flows over to my love of organized sets, and so I've made myself one that is small but flexible.

Inspired by the RPG Never Going Home, I've taken some of my free time to make a board, a collection of terrain, and 15 miniatures to explore a war-torn Europe being corrupted by forces from beyond the veil. 


This box started as a pair of box lids from some wooden purse boxes. I filled it with chips of pink insulation foam, covered that with lightweight spackle, drybrushed it with a mix of white, black, and yellow ochre, and then added some acrylic water texture and grass tufts.


Of course, having a board is only useful if you've the terrain to decorate it. Remembering hours of CoD2 from my youth, I wanted to gather some partially ruined buildings, low walls and a number of supply drops to break line of sight across my little board. Many of these pieces wont lie flush with the rocky nature of the board, but having played in the blasted foundations of France I reckon they'll serve as additional points of egress as the models vie for control of the field.


Speaking of models, I wanted to have a few factions to keep games varied, but within a limited range of miniatures. We have some Americans, who are Indigenous peoples that function as Code Talkers, a handful of Germans in their wintery attire, and plenty of horrors who can keep scenarios interesting. I made certain that the unnatural outnumber the mortal so that the odds can always be against our human protagonists. There are gremlins, who are notorious sneaks and quite talented at dismantling machinery. I've also got undead soldiers, who could be accompanied by a necromancer should the need arise. There's also a towering horror from another dimension, (who may have some friends on the way,) that might serve as an endboss or a heavy elite. We shall see. We shall see.


Since I don't yet have NGH, and since I'm playing in the wrong war, I think this is where the inspiration and the actualization diverge. I'm also not much for historicals, so if you're following along and would be bothered by inconsistencies, I ask that you be patient with me and try to embrace whatever hodge podge pocket universe comes of these misadventures in hobbying.


Do you have any ideas for scenarios or things you'd like to see in this incoming campaign? Drop me recommendations in the comments. Stay safe and stay kind.

Comments

Popular Posts