Pain Table - Orktober

220/52 --> 259/52


In the year 2020, we're trying to make the most of things. Days seem like weeks, weeks seem like years, and this year will never ever ever ever end. On that note, I've circled back to finding joy in accomplishing arbitrary goals! I mentioned two or three months ago that I wanted to see how many victory laps I could take around the initial mini-per-week goal, and while that still appeals to me, I've also decided that I'd be satisfied with just hitting 300. Since I was feeling flexible, I figured I'd throw out some numbers that might fill a place in my soul were I to match them with my minis output.

300, 308, 360, 365

The only issue is, with no games to anticipate in the future, and not feeling up for solo play atm, I'm struggling to find more things to paint for. Mostly I'm going off community prompts, things I was already working on, and projects that have been haunting my desk for longer than I care to admit (shrug.)

Now without further ado, minis.


Orktober, its that month so you know what we gotta do! Obligatory Space Hooligans from the Deathskulls Klan, who like blowing shit up and playing Simon Says.
+4


The real push this month has been to keep up with my Never Going Home needs. As of this writing (10/13,) I've yet to play a round, but I've had hankerings to expand the selection's monster menu. From right to left, a Slugmule as a pack creature/light steed, a Tattergeist which feels like a D&D Cloaker but neutral evil, and a Nuckelavee who wanders the battlefield with its rusted rifle. The last critter is one of my favorite old legend cryptids, and its kind of a relief to finally have some version of it realized in my collection.


I also wanted to flesh out my cluster/swarming units, so got a fifth gremlin and a fourth zombie (with heavy bolter/60 cal) for superior suppression.


While I was on that mission, I figured it'd only be fair to even the odds, so I made a German Captain and an American Trooper. And a little guy based off the little guy (below.) He's probably a hunter/sniper from beyond the veil,


(how could I not)


Oh, and then there's that wee beastie. It's a Dark Young from Reaper's Bones line and it's an ungodly mess of mold lines, but also at $8 was a very necessary snag for the collection.  

+9


The last of the devils! They're somewhat underinspired in the palette department, but I felt like it'd be a missed opportunity not to paint some of them in bright red Satan Skin. So those are the final two lesser devils (I chopped the third up for parts,) a greater devil, and a witch from another model line.

Wah and Hoo y'all, wah and hoo
+4

Bone Pilgryms for Salvatore28. Of the things that've sat on my desk for a few months now, these were the closest to being finished and were a quick fix. I still need to develop the lore for them, but I sense that they'll be traveling from Polis ready to spread the gospel to all who will listen.

+5

Odds and Ends! Towards the end of the month I worked to clear some of the conversions that had been accumulating on my desk. Here's this batch in quick order from top left to bottom right.

  1. Ork Weirdboy - After painting up my Orktober lot, and giving away a handful of Orks to a pal on Twitter, I figured I'd start on what few Orks I had left. I've still got some stormboys and a trukk to make, but finishing up a command option seemed like a step in the right direction.
  2. Horse Headed Soldier - inspired by a similar model by Max Filip Petersson (@fgsfds on instagram) and painted with only three colors and no white.
  3. Barbed Wire Elemental - snuck another mini in for Never Going Home. I'll stop eventually, I promise, but I tried a tutorial for barbed wire and then decided I didn't want to use it for terrain, so what else was I gonna do?
  4. Shroomanoid with Muttroom - A piece for a previous #onedayinq28th involving plants, and it felt like a great opportunity to add to my Wasteman Shroomanoids. This one has bits from GW and Alternative Armies.
  5. Necromunda Brawler - Plastic Orlock bod with Plastic Squat head and some odd Ork and Grot bits. Sometimes you just need a biker dude who punches stuff.
  6. Pete the Dead Astronaut - Frostgrave cultist with GSC bits and a marble for a head. He's a character from one of my comics, but I'm not sure who he'll play with in my minis collection, but he'd been sitting unpainted long enough to gather dust, so I felt like I owed him.
  7. Goblin - from Northumbrian Tin Soldier, which I've been aching to get a mini or two from. I really love odd minis from offbeat companies, so these Froudian figs were a shoo-in for my collection.
  8. Goblin - same as above, but his weapon fell off due to my mishandling and so I replaced it with a bit of wire and a bit from the Middlehammer Skaven Warlord. Maybe these goons will hang out with my Gnarly Knights? Who knows!
  9. Cannon and Crew - My Turnip28 collection is mostly sufficient, but I have a few more ideas for units before I'm satisfied. Right now I'm working on some Mercenary units, who'll be garbed in neither red nor green (the main colors of the two armies I've amassed) and so these little guys have been given a sickly yellow as their heraldry. What root do they serve? Beets me!
Also shoutout to my homie Irenee who gave me the bits for the little gribbly on the brush. Its super cute and adds a narrative oomph to the set.

+12

Glory Hogs! I have a little stash of Wasteman minis that still need a coat or three, and since its almost four years since I sold my soul to the rad child, my nostalgia got the better of me and I cleared these boys off the docket. Models are mostly as sold save for the second from the right, who stole his guitar from the Johan the Slayer mini I chopped up for my Johnny Colossus conversion. These lads always reminded me of pig-nosed orcs, so I'll likely pop them into Gorkamorka... erm Porkamorka games. If memory serves I might have an Iron Ham on order (the faction's signature vehicle,) but due to the virus I might need to cook them up a hot rod if they're gonna get road rash anytime soon.

Side note, the Alf head on the guitarist's base is from Skeleton Head Toys, who currently has a Kickstarter going in it's last few days. 


Take a look if you like gross things, and maybe don't if you don't <3

+5

Month's Total
+39



220/52 --> 259/52

And another thing!

Not long ago I showed off a rad little sharkman who I couldn't count towards my total on account of him being part of a minis exchange. Well this month I was sent the return volley and this little peeg from Bad Squiddo came back to me all beautified by Sean of that place Sean is from. Wow! Absolutely stunning! I may have to start a new collection of minis painted by other folks, now that I know full well how much fun this exchange experience is!


also, Sean took a much better photo of the shark dude, so here it is in all its glory.

Thanks for popping in! See you in the reviews!

Comments

Popular Posts