Fabulous Muscles

It's a really good Xiu Xiu song, but it's also a horde of toys one of my clients sent me not too long ago. Recently a client asked if I'd be down to paint some of his favorite M.U.S.C.L.E. figures, and given my proclivity towards small cool dudes I said yes immediately. 

While I am no expert in this field of collectable miniatures, the quick history of this line is thus: Kinnikuman was a manga that hit Shonen Jump in the late 70's about intergalactic professional wrestling, later spawning and anime and several toy lines, one of which being these keshi. They're about 2 inches tall and are cast in rubbery single color plastics, making them durable and characterful, as their sculpts often include a great amount of detail. I'm poorly paraphrasing this article from Mentalfloss but the gist is that they were fun collectable miniatures from the 80's, and as a wargaming enthusiast I find that super relatable.

Some masterfully painted treasures from Mike's Painted Miniatures

Not long ago, I stumbled across Mike's Painted Miniatures, an awesome blog that has a backlog of really fascinating M.U.S.C.L.E. figures. In the posts there I learned about the usual hurdles in painting these figures, namely the curse of mold lines and their resistance to taking paint. I recommend you read his blog, since I doubt my paraphrasing will do it justice, and the tips therein are pretty helpful!

That said, I did my darnedest to trim excess plastic, and gave each model a few coats of Krylon before breaking out the acrylics. These models have a few soft details that proved challenging, but overall I really liked the experience of trying my hand at models that weren't designed to be hand-painted. I took a special shine to the pig guy, and decided to give him a tank top from one of my favorite bad movies. Bonus points to the reader who can tell me where it comes from!


A pair of cheeky chums as ready to throw down in wrestling rings as they are in the rings of Jupiter!
I hope they don't tag me in!


Comments

  1. I totally remember these being on the shelf when I was a child. No idea they were a collectible series, though that makes a lot of sense now that I'm older. Nice rendering on 'jacks' t shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, way to nail it out of the gate! Its just as old Jack Burton used to say, "yes sir, the check is in the mail!"

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts