HOBBY GOALS 2020

So, it's that time of year again where we reflect on the year we've had, and consider the year ahead. Sometimes you can figure out/divine ways to make the next year better than the year before, whether that's meeting goals or setting boundaries, quitting habits or diving into new routines. I'm not gonna pretend to have it all figured out, but I will take the opportunity to blog about the handful of things I do know.

One of my partners was a hero and slapped my pug-mug on a ping pong paddle. They're the bees' knees.

After some soul searching, with the traditional candles, bloodletting, and cheesecloth, I want to talk about some of the things I feel accomplished for having done in the last year. For many folks I know 2019 was not a kind time, but I want to highlight that despite all of its foulness and misery, we achieved some really cool things that should be celebrated before burying the whole 12 months and starting fresh.


This is one of the scenes from my "finished" shelf, and yes, you're welcome to have a captions contest in the comments.

For me, some of the hobbying things I'm proud of are as follows...

  • I managed to field Pugs in Warhammer 40k
  • I painted models to a degree of quality that I'd never achieved before
  • I collaborated on some cool community projects
  • I finished a huge chunk for the Wasteman Comics
Five years ago, I didn't know that I'd ever play wargames again, and I didn't know that I'd have sculpted my very own pug army either. I especially didn't know that I'd have a handful of friends around the globe who enjoyed what I made, and supported me in those endeavors. For all this and more I am grateful to this bastard of a year, and with any luck 2020 will be more of the best and none of the worse.


Someday I'll show off my Genestealer Cult.
Meanwhile, enjoy knowing that one of these models is definitely on a square base.


Here's where we get to the resolutions part. Or, the part where I look at my hobby practice, with an eye on intentionality. I think, while this year I accomplished many things, I could have accomplished many more if I'd stayed organized and critically minded about the way I approached my projects. Maybe I should ask "what do I want from my hobby?"

  • I want it to be for me - I have always bumped into the issue of playing games in ways that rub me the wrong way. I've written many comics about the toxicity of "buying to win," and the predatory practices of some games that have hidden costs and high costs of entry. I believe in accessible gaming, and I believe in playing games that don't penalize you for playing with older toys, or pressure you into playing with toys you don't love. I'd like to try and stand by those beliefs this year.

  • I want it to be for you - If you're reading this, then somehow, unwittingly, you've become my audience. There are a great many publications and blogs about this hobby, and I'd like to imagine that someday I could produce entertainment of that caliber. It's no secret that I love print media, and that I'm frothy for the White Dwarf magazine of my youth, so this year I'd like to treat this blog to some better editing, and more consistent scheduling. Maybe this means that I'll post once a month (which would be an improvement,) but that post will be chock-o-block full of goodies for your eyes to nosh on.

  • I want it to be not all-encompassing - this is the most abstract of my goals. Truthfully, when I'm at my mental and emotional worst, I dive deep into hobbybrain and let my projects sprawl. I would like to balance my relationship with my hobby better, and consolidate it to maybe half a table at most (because currently two tables and two cabinets is too many, and I'd really love my workshop to be usable for work as well as hobby crafting.)

All the other pictures got captions, even if half of them are cop outs.
I would like to think that this is better than no caption, but we all know that's not true.


And that's about it really. Those are the three cornerstones I want to focus on in the coming year. This seem's doable, and maybe even enjoyable. Happy new year y'all.


Comments

Popular Posts