Obligatory Mushroom Pun - Part 1


I know what you're thinking.
Okay, that's a lie, but I feel as though you weren't expecting a Magic Card in the feed. 
Then again, there's a thumbnail of a snake with legs floating around here, so clearly Squalor and Dice Inc. has an eclectic wheelhouse.

Anyhow, Fungusaur. It's a throwback card debuting in Magic's first set, and iterating through the ages. I wont call it a great card, but when I first opened it in eight edition (its last printing) I was thrilled to have this ugly bug-eyed dinosaur to pop in my deck.

Nowadays I would probably include it for laughs alone (its really not a good card,) but maybe a year ago it came to mind when my pal Jason began sculpting the Shroomanoids. These little buggers are rambling little mushroom men who menace the masses in the world of Wasteman, and they stole my gosh darn heart.

Jason's little buggers from the site. So cute!
While he was developing the models, Jason kept me abreast of the process which never ends well. 
I might have lost a day or two drawing up ideas for expanding the range, but now that comes back full circle to inform some upcoming shroomanoid projects I might be inclined to make. 


Mine cart chariots pulled by giant snails, who would be fun callbacks to other Wasteman figures like the Deathcargot Dragoons who ride around on battle snails. Also, who wouldn't want a mushy boi with a baby snail for a pet?
More Snails! More Mushmen!

I started thinking about what other mounts might be appropriate for Shroomans. Most of what came to mind was the Pokemon Paras and Parasect from Gen 1, and other insects that might enjoy hanging out with the Toadstool Tribes. Additionally, I briefly considered weaponized bugs.

<3 And then I remembered Fungusaur <3
Yup, good old FUNGUSAUR. Lucky for me, I have two reference images to work from; Daniel Gelon's original and Heather Hudson's re-imagining. Unfortunately the only other art for Fungusaur is by Scott M. Fischer and it kinda feels like Wizards of the Coast asked him at the last second, "do you have any spare lizard paintings hanging around?"

"I'll take things that are not aesthetic for $800"
So, as of the publishing of this post, here's the plan so far...

Posse Shoppe

4 - 6 Shroomanoids on foot
Minecart Chariot pulled by Giant Snail
Fungusaur with Shroomanoid Riders

I'll have to figure out what the posse's strengths and weaknesses are before I commit to any sculpting or converting, but my initial thoughts are about how the majority of these guys have T-Rex arms, so even if they've got the occasional knife close combat wont be their first option for engagement. With that in mind, having the Snail and Fungusaur to be their heavy hitters might be their best bet in winning any encounters of the fisty variety.

Furthermore, I think they might have spore powers, which are often lichened to being psychically linked in the wargaming world. This might imply a hive mind or just a more coordinated approach to whatever spore-adic stunts they might pull during one of their misadventures. Depending on the ruleset I might give them abilities to let them chain-activate, comboing off of eachother so they can perform as many actions as possible before their opponent gains priority.

SO FAR

What?! You wanted to see actual minis I was working on right? You didn't think this post was entirely conceptual process, did you? I mean, that'd be rad, but I wouldn't do that to you... this time!

This is what I'm working with so far; I've got 4 of the 5 Shroomanoids Jason's produced in varying stages of painted. Somewhere in my pile of Shame Potential Bits, I have some Mushroom folk from Alternative Armies, that came with the Pillbugs I used to make my Skeleton Gnome Cavalry, and those nerds will be good for Fungusaur Riders, or perhaps walking Shroomanoids with wedgies.

Or Cowboy Shroomanoids.

What a concept.

Anyhow, that's enough of a ramble for one night. You'll notice that while this post is called Obligatory Mushroom Puns, I went a bit light on them. Since there's a part 2 somewhere in the works, if y'all wouldn't mind posting some mushroom puns in the comments section I'd be very much obliged. Regular comments are also welcome, but discouraged in case they take up too mushroom.

Comments

Popular Posts