Sauracens vs Templars vs Cowboys

I posted a blog titled "PUT THIS IN YOUR EYE" not too long ago, and in it I talked a bit about Templars Vs Sauracens from 1988chewitt's blog. What I neglected to say was "HEY, I'M GONNA GET SOME TOYS AND THEN CHOP THEM INTO BITS," which is what I ended up doing immediately after writing that post. I stopped by a local comic shop that also sells random toys and picked up enough components to make a dastardly duo, or a pair of well-worn rivals (you decide!) 


My first toybash was a triceratops and a medieval knight merged together with some pinning and an apoxiesculpt/procreate combo. I don't know either of the brands, but they sure were a bargain at 50¢ apiece. May I then present Tricornius, the dino-knight!

 
The second amalgam is a bull's body and a plastic toy soldier. I opened it up to Instagram to name this baleful beast, and while there were many worthy contenders, I couldn't stop giggling at "oh, that's just Kevin," and so Kevin McCowitzer it is! 
 
 
 
I ended up using Pixie Pink spray on both figures, not for any future palette reason, but because I thought it would look neat.

I was right. They look especially rad out in my partner's garden. 

Then when it came time to paint these suckers up, I remembered the restored toys from Wolfliche of Instagram and how simple their color schemes were in relation to the detail of the figures.

 In the spirit of keeping the models feeling toy-ish, I used paints mostly from the bottle, and used washes and drybrushing sparingly, but to decent effect.

I think there's something shameless to be found in the block coloring, especially in the untinted metallics. Neither of these figures are pretending to be high art; they're on bases because they need to stand upright, not on account for convention or ruleset or embellishment.

 

Also, I know very little about heraldry, but enough to know that I should have researched which cross on what background before painting this guy. I think I dodged a hate symbol, but hopefully the historical context of a crusader dinosaur will absolve me of any accidents I may have made in my choice of colors.

 All that said though, I kinda wish I'd Frankensteined a tail onto this guy. While his tiny ass is pretty special, I just think we could have gone the distance with this guy. And also another spot of green would've been keen.


So that's thems! A little irreverent project because it felt nice and light and fun. I hope to make a few more of these guys, and eventually try out Chris/1988Chewitt's game, but I don't have any firm timelines for that since for now I'm just enjoying myself.




Comments

Popular Posts