Dispatches from the Workbench of DOOM



March has been an odd month for the world. In the wake of these life altering events, I've had a little more time to do what I do, and so I've done what I did and now I'm showing you. 

3 Boar Centaurs for the Chaos Gnomes
I think everyone has some pieces floating around their bitz box that have been there for years, half languishing, half mocking you, totally just tucked away to be used in a project far far down the road. These three are sort of the result of taking those pieces, and making sure they found homes; an old monopose ork, some battered old boars, and some boutique pieces I'd chopped in half for use in other conversions. 


I hadn't been certain that my Chaos Gnomes would receive any Bull Centaurs, since the Admiralty range has none in stock and the actual models would be far too big, (these three monsters are definitely even bigger than their Citadel predecessors, but I suppose its forgivable.) Luckily I've learned 3rd edition WHFB had Boar Centaurs for the Chaos Dwarfs, so this fits perfectly! Maybe in my lore, these wont be hybrids per se, but just some terrible creatures that have sided with the gnomes, breaking bread (and also bones) together when the mood strikes.
Two Wildmen


After what seems like ages, I've finally begun working in on the miniatures from the Ana Polanscak Kickstarter, starting with the Wodewose figures, who are akin to the fauns and satyrs with their mischief and their lust. This pair seem quite jolly together, and while I'm compelled to round it up to a happy trio, I've recently begun another enterprise that requires my sculpting skills.


just kidding


I went through my lead pile and found a Mawman from the Wasteman range, chopped off its arms and made an one-armed giant-man to be the chieftain of these Wodewose. I think I had a Leshy in mind, but couldn't think of it at the time (another forest spirit type, this time from Slavic folklore.) The two smaller wildmen still need more friends, (might get some naked barbarians or Zulu warriors to help with that,) but for now three can be a crowd.

This side project was also an opportunity to make combatants with disabilities. I'd like to think that this fellow's arm is now a tree somewhere, holding up a bridge or providing a home to some forest critters somewhere in that lore I still haven't written, (maybe I'll get to that once I have some shadowboxes in which I can satisfyingly photograph these odds and ends.)

Horse Skull Familiar
Back to that aforementioned endeavor Another of Ana's sculpts, this one looks like a shoo-in for my Undead Gnomes. However, I felt the need to anthropomorphize the critter and decided he looked lonely. 


I think it was important to keep these eleven extra models in the same vein as the first, especially after reading Byron Lloyd Harmon's essay on Material Culture. They're all skulls from larger animals that have a service they performed in life, and they're all given hats that tie them into the gnomish traditions. Maybe it reflects the respect for nature that the gnomefolk possess, but twisted by the goals of their Gnecromantic master.

early stages with basic shapes and goofy smiles, in keeping with the Goofdark aesthetic of the undead gnomes

here they are completed, and arranged as they'll be fielded on a movement tray from Back 2 Base-ix, who I like quite a bit (:
When putting them all in that coherency tray, it occurred to me that they might be fun to line up like a parade. Someday when I play games again, I might need to write a scenario where the procession of skulls wanders through a small village, making mischief and scaring superstitious folk as they dance through the streets. I've no clue as to what sort of rules might make this scenario click, or what supporting or opposing forces might be fun to field, so for now that idea goes into the percolator. Hope it makes friends with that fish!


What do you think? How would you run these odd little fellows in whatever systems you play? Who do you think would make good allies for these miscreants? Pop a comment below if you've any thoughts, and I'll see you in the next post!

Comments

Popular Posts